Monday, March 7, 2011

Cash or Charge?

Massage Therapy has historically been a cash business, but our world has been moving away from cash.  Massage clients at spas and gyms are now accustomed to using plastic to pay for their treatments, and people are put off by having to stop at an ATM before making any kind of purchase.

A few months ago, one of my clients suggested I begin accepting credit cards, as it would make payment more convenient for him.  I found a great company, Square, Inc., that serves as a one-stop-shop for small businesses and provides an iPhone app and device with which to swipe cards.  Two days later the money is in my account.  No contracts, no monthly fees.

The other day another one of my clients was impressed with this new device and my ability to swipe her card on my iPhone.  The next thing I knew it, I was being scheduled for an interview with NYC's ABC Channel 7.  It seems credit card acceptance by small businesses is growing, and they were doing a story on it.

So, the next time I ask, "Cash or charge?" don't hesitate to whip out the plastic.  Even Discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment